I have found that the latest movie has more than a passing resemblance to a classic PC game which unfortunately is a bit hard to get working on modern PCs. Somehow it magically started working again on my PC (not sure what I did) so I’ve been playing through it again.
While talking on IRC yesterday I decided to make a list of the major points of similarity. I’ll leave off the obvious things such as Indy making sure he doesn’t lose his hat and such.
Obviously this will be chock-full of spoilers for BOTH the movie and the game so be warned.
- An ancient culture worships an alien (or alien race) from another dimension as a god and builds a structure to honor them.
- A woman who believes in psychic powers is harmed near the end of the story by the aforementioned alien.
- We only get to see the living, true form of this alien (or race) at the end of the story.
- Some glimpses of it are offered before then in statues or dead bodies.
- At the end the ancient structure collapses and Indy must rush out of it.
- At some point Indy has to navigate shrinking platforms attached to an arcing wall over a large drop.
- Indy rides a boat down waterways.
- Dr. Jones is living his routine life until someone finds him to tell him his help is needed elsewhere, and then the adventure starts.
- Indy is betrayed by someone he thought was an ally.
- Near the end, the villain messes with alien technology in an ancient culture’s shrine in an attempt to gain power, and in doing so puts everyone at risk.
- The Soviets are a prominent “bad guy”.
- Indy is captured by the Soviets (at least) once, but escapes, beating them to their destination.